St John the Baptist
St John’s was built by the Medieval Religious Guilds in 1344 on land called ‘Bablake’ given by Queen Isabella. As Coventry flourished and under the royal patronage of Edward, the Black Prince, the original chapel was able to be expand to its present proportion. However with the dissolutions of the guilds under Henry VIII, the church was closed in 1546.
During the Civil War, the building was used as a prison for the Royalist prisoners and with Coventry sympathising with Parliament, the prisoners were treated coldly, which gave rise to the saying ‘Sent to Coventry’. It was also used as dyers stretch yard and place to hold markets. In 1734 it was restored to its original purpose as a place of worship.
The worship at St John’s is in the Catholic Faith of the Church of England, our music and hymns try to reflect the best of worship both traditional and modern.
St John’s continue to serve the spiritual needs of the local community and parish. Please feel free to visit our website for further details and times of our services.
We have a Parish Hall that can be used for many events, please contact the Churchwardens for further details.
Summer: April - October
Mondays - Fridays 10.30am to 1.00pm.
*Saturdays 10.00am. to 12.30pm.
Sundays 12 noon. to 4.00pm
Winter: November – March
Wednesdays & Thursdays 10.30am. – 1.00pm.
*Saturdays 10.00am. – 12.30pm.
*Refreshments are available in the Parish Hall from 10.00am. till noon,
Other times by appointment
By Road: exit ring road at junction 9 and turn onto Upper Well Street. At second traffic lights turn right onto Corporation Street. Church is located on corner of Corporation St and Fleet St by traffic roundabout.
: 1 mile from Coventry mainline station
- Disabled access
- Children welcome
- Disabled access