Rugby Visitor Centre
Lancaster Road, Rugby,
Caldecott Park opened in 1904 and is named in memory of the Caldecott family who were lords of Rugby Manor. Thomas Caldecott, the last Lord of the Manor, died in 1875.
This award winning park caters for all tastes. It offers an escape from the hustle and bustle of the shopping area with mature trees and beautiful flower displays plus a children's playground, tennis courts, a band stand and a regular programme of outdoor events each summer.
The Park's History & the Restoration
There used to be an ornamental lake in the centre of the park, but that was filled in 1922. The Second World War saw the removal of a floral staircase as well as the original iron park railings which were taken away as part of the war effort. The 1970s saw the loss of many of the trees in the park to Dutch Elm Disease.
However in the 1990s there has been a programme of tree replanting. Also in 1996 a series of entertainment events were organised over the summer months. These have continued since and there are also craft fairs, art exhibitions and musical performances on the bandstand.
In 2006 the Heritage Lottery Fund awarded Rugby Borough Council just under £1,000,000 to restore the park. Following 10 months of work, the park fully opened again to the public on 25th March 2009. The park now features much improved footpaths and drainage, refurbished and new furniture, a new tree lined entrance from Lancaster Road, and new boundary railings and gateways around the whole park. There are also a new play area for children and a multi-sports area designed for football and basketball.
A Victorian tool shed has been refurbished into a park café.
: 2 miles from Rugby station
- Disabled access
- On-site catering
- Picnic site
- Public toilets
- Leisure facilities onsite
- Mobile phone coverage
- Grounds for outdoor activities
- Children welcome
- Disabled access
- Dogs accepted