Marton - Ancient bridge.
Marton derives its name from 'moortown', a reference to the marshy land south of the village.
To the west of the main road is the parish church of St Esprit. The church was re-built in 1871 after a fire, but the tower and south arcade date from the 13th and 14th centuries.
The bridge over the Leam retains masonry on its south-west side from the time of Henry V when a 'fair bridge of lime and stone' was built by John Middleton, a local man who became a wealthy London mercer. The bridge is now scheduled as an ancient monument. There are some 17th century buildings surviving in the village.
Open all the time
SP 501750 52.37093 -1.26496
Situated 9 miles south-west of Rugby, on the A423.
Public transport from Rugby: 64 (daily), 580(Mon-Sat)
: 8 miles from Leamington Spa station
- Telephone (public)