Wolston is located halfway between Rugby and Coventry. The river Avon flows through the village. The south part of the main street of Wolston is very pretty, with a stream flowing through it and the houses on either side approached by way of small bridges.
Wolston Priory, a Tudor house with a fine mullion windowed front, stands on the site of a Benedictine Priory that was established in the 11th century as a cell of the Abbey at Dinan in France. Here, on a secret press the pamphlets were printed attacking the church, which led to the execution in 1593 of John Perry, their author. He was known as the father of Welsh non-conformity.
The Parish Church of St Margaret's is a mixture of styles. It is Saxon in origin and has a Norman south doorway. It has a central tower and other interesting features include 17th century communion rails and an octagonal font.
Another distinctive feature is a railway viaduct which dates from the 1830s and was part of the original London and Birmingham Railway. The viaduct separates Wolston from the smaller village of Brandon.
SP 501751 52.37165 -1.26553
Located just off the Fosse way, 6 miles west of Rugby
Public transport from Rugby: 86 (daily), 580 (Mon-Sat), Flexibus 217 (Fri)
: 6 miles from Rugby station
- Mobile phone coverage
- Dogs accepted
- Smoking allowed