Special needs only
Opened as a country park in 1971, the 100 acres contain a wealth of historical interest such as the prominent beacon, quarry rmains and the nearby 12th Century All Saints Church.
It comprises a group of ironstone hills, which are named after the tiny village of Burton Dassett which sits in the hills. The hills rise to 203m (666 ft) above sea level.
The area was once extensively quarried for ironstone and a short industrial railway - Edge Hill Light Railway - existed for this purpose until the 1920s.
Of interest at the site, is a 12th century church at the old village of Burton Dassett. Outside the church is a holy well which still provides water. The park is also highly popular with flyers of kites and radio-controlled gliders.
Impressive views across the surrounding countryside can be seen from the hills; towns and other features that are viewable are described by a toposcope.
- Interpretive information points across the site
- Waymarking features and distances
- Picnic areas in several old quarry working areas
- Orientation platform on Magpie Hill
- Separate area for model glider flying (by permission only)
- Wide, open spaces for kite flying, ball games etc.
Open all the time
Parking charge applies.
M40, Junction 12. Follow signs for Gaydon on B4451, then B4100 direction Banbury, then left over M40 Burton Hills.
Parking: £1.50 flat fee.
- Disabled toilets
- Facilities for educational visits
- On-site light refreshments
- Picnic site
- Accepts groups
- Children welcome
- Dogs accepted
Self-Assessed Accessibility Details
- The surface of the car park and pathway leading to entrance:
- is gravel
- The route from the parking area to the entrance:
- Has a ramp
- Level access (no steps/thresholds) or access by ramp or lift:
- To a specially adapted public toilet suitable for wheelchair users
- Good contrast between the floor and walls
- Baby changing facilities
Some routes are suitable for wheelchair but not all.
- Ramp to entrance
- Handrail by ramp
- Seating available for visitors with limited mobility
- Clear signage
- Routes/pathways suitable for wheelchair users or visitors with limited mobility
- Displays at suitable height for wheelchair users / children