The headquarters of the Warwickshire Museum Service is housed in the 17th century market hall. It is one of the few buildings in the centre of Warwick that survived the disastrous fire that swept through the town in 1694. Displays of Geology, Biology and Archaeology illustrate the natural and historical heritage of the county that lies at the heart of England. The museum is noted in particular for the famous Sheldon Tapestry Map of Warwickshire, habitat displays and live bees. There is also a giant 180 million years old plesiosaur from the Jurassic, and a unique fossil amphibian found nowhere else in the world. A temporary exhibition gallery has displays which change every four to six weeks. The museum's shop has a good selection of souvenirs and greeting cards at affordable prices.
Wheelchair access to ground floor with assistance.
BSL signing by arrangement for events.
Tuesday - Saturday 10.00 - 17.00
Sundays (May to September only) 11.30 - 17.00
Bank Holidays: 10.00 - 17.00
From Warwick Tourist Information Centre, proceed left along High Street. Turn right into Swan Street and follow this road round. The museum is on your right in the main square.
- Credit cards accepted (no fee)
- Facilities for groups
- Facilities for educational visits
- Gift shop
- Smoking not allowed
Self-Assessed Accessibility Details
- Designated parking for guests with disabilities
- Within 50 metres approx. of entrance
- The surface of the car park and pathway leading to entrance:
- is solid
- The route from the parking area to the entrance:
- Is flat (i.e. without steps)
- Level access (no steps/thresholds) or access by ramp or lift:
- From the entrance to reception / ticket area
- To a specially adapted public toilet suitable for wheelchair users
- To the gift shop
- Good contrast between the floor and walls
- Contrast markings on clear surfaces such as glass doors
- Baby changing facilities
- Visitor information available in audio format
- Hearing loop installed in public areas
- Ramp to entrance
- Handrail by ramp
- Entrance is well lit
- Automatic door at the main entrance