Experience the imagination of marvellous minds!
The MAD (Mechanical Art and Design) Museum is the only specialist attraction of its kind in the UK. Based in Stratford upon Avon, the museum was launched in March 2012 and showcases the world-class Kinetic Art and Automata. Best described as a mixture of Wallace and Gromit, Heath Robinson and Scrapheap Challenge; the museum offers the whole family a chance to experience and interact with fantastic machines. Marble runs, laser lights, witty design and mind-blowing intricate moving contraptions.
For young children the museum offers dancing lasers, rolling ball machines and whirligigs all with lots of buttons to press! Visits are exciting with an educational bias, relevant to curriculum modules such as Design & Technology and Science. We give children an experience that is worthwhile, educationally beneficial and also a lot of fun!
For adults and teenagers, The MAD Museum offers a chance to experience an extraordinary handcrafted assortment of both modern and old fashioned, yet highly innovative machines with a bit of “physics in action”! Release your inner inventor! The museum is extremely popular with all ages and anyone interested in creative and sophisticated design.
Visit today, you’d be MAD not to!
Lift: The museum is located on the first floor, above Lakeland on Henley Street. As well as a staircase, there is a lift at the museum’s entrance which is available for wheelchairs and pushchairs.
Guide dogs and pets: We welcome guide dogs but pets and other animals are not permitted in The MAD Museum.
Disabled visitors: We have an inclusive admission policy making sure all paying customers are considered equally and with dignity. Disabled visitors are entitled to a concessionary ticket for entry into the museum. They are also permitted to be accompanied by 1 helper, whom is entitled to a concessionary ticket too.
Emergency Evacuations: If an emergency evacuation does occur, please vacate the premises through the museum’s entrance onto Henley Street or at the rear of the building. There are emergency exit signs throughout the museum.
Close by to The MAD Museum: Town Centre: we’re in it!
Coaches: Coach Drop off/Pick up: Windsor Street Coach Park. (2mins walk) CV37 6NL and 24hr Coach Park: Riverside coach park. (5mins walk) CV37 6BY.
Train Station: Stratford upon Avon train Station. (4mins walk) CV37 6PL.
Last entry 45 minutes before closing time.
|Season Dates||Opening Hours|
|Thu 10 Apr - Tue 30 Sep 2014||Mon - Sun 09:30 to 17:30|
|Wed 1 Oct 2014 - Tue 31 Mar 2015||Mon - Sun 10:30 to 17:00|
Last admission is 45 minutes before closing time.
Adult - £6.80, Concessions/ Students - £5.50, Children (6- 12yrs) - £4.50, Children (5yrs & under) - Free, Family Ticket - £19.00.
Wheelchair users + up to 2 carers – concessionary ticket prices apply
- Baby changing facilities
- Coach parties accepted
- Credit cards accepted (no fee)
- Disabled access
- Disabled toilets
- Facilities for groups
- Facilities for educational visits
- Gift shop
- Pushchairs available
- Welcome Host
- Wheelchairs available
- Accepts groups
- Facilities for corporate hospitality
- Children welcome
- Dogs not accepted (except guidedogs)
- Smoking not allowed
- Facilities for visually impaired
Self-Assessed Accessibility Details
- Entrance is well lit
- Automatic door at the main entrance
- Seating available for visitors with limited mobility
- Clear signage
- Effective lighting for visually impaired visitors
- Good colour/tonal contrast for visually impaired visitors
- Routes/pathways suitable for wheelchair users or visitors with limited mobility
- Displays at suitable height for wheelchair users / children
- Audible alarm system
- Visual alarm system
- Level access (no steps/thresholds) or access by ramp or lift:
- From the entrance to reception / ticket area
- To a specially adapted public toilet suitable for wheelchair users
- To the gift shop
- Good contrast between the floor and walls
- Contrast markings on clear surfaces such as glass doors
- Baby changing facilities
- Visitor information available in large print (14pt and over)