Studley is a large village on the western edge of Warwickshire near the border with Worcestershire. The village is old enough to have been recorded as existing in the Domesday Book of 1086. It is the site of both a Castle and the remains of a medieval priory.
Studley is also known for being the site of asewing needle making industry. In 1977 the old factory where needles were made was burnt down, and the production of "Aero" needles moved to a nearby site.
One of the streets in the village is named "Crooks Lane", because the crooked needles from the original factory were dumped at the end of this lane, but the road was there before the village had a needle factory.
Studley is often noted to have unusually many pubs (17 within one square mile, plus numerous restaurants) and it has been suggested that the village has the second highest number of pubs per head of population (second only to Blackpool!).
The original village was along the banks of the river, where the church still remains (the church also features a window dating back to Norman times). Over the years the village expanded and moved up the hill to the site of the Roman road.
Parking : free
The Roman road of Ryknild Street, now the A435 road, passes through the village on its eastern edge, parallel to the River Arrow.
Studley is sometimes claimed to be the largest village in England, however, this is incorrect as it is not even the largest village in Warwickshire. Both Polesworth and Bulkington are larger. The United Kingdom Census 2001 reported Studley's population as being 6,624.