"HALFORD, (or Halford Bridge), a parish in the hundred of Kington (Kineton), in the county of Warwick, 4 miles North of Shipston and 8 from the Moreton railway station. The village, which is small, is situated on the river Stour, a tributary of the Avon.
It is supposed to have derived its name from the ford over the river Stour, which is here crossed by a bridge of ancient construction. The old Roman Fosse Way which forms part of the road to Warwick, runs through the parish."
The important bridge across the River Stour at Halford was the site of a famous skirmish during the English Civil War on 6 March 1645. Clothing of troops was very important and the Royalists raided a supply convoy travelling from Gloucester to Warwick as it crossed the original narrow bridge, seizing over £10,000 of cloth and 120 horses.
Warwickshire, CV36 5BN