The School house is a red brick building with stone pilasters and a hipped roof which dates from 1707 and was designed by Francis Smith of Warwick. The School was free to all children from Dunchurch but were not received until they could read the testament.
The School house was built on land granted by the Duke of Montagu. The work began on 20th March 1708 at the cost of £436.
This was possib1e as in 1707 Francis Boughton left £400 in trust for the building of a school house & school 'in or as near Dunchurch Church as may be for teaching and instructing of the children of Dunchurch in learning and catechising'.
The trustees were to appoint a 'sober, grave, orderly and learned schoolmaster'.
The first school master they appointed was Mr Samuel Porter.
The following were amongst the first set of rules set up by the School.
Children were to be taught 'to read ye English tongue and rudiments of ye latine, to write a legible hand and to cast accounts'.
The master shall not be obliged to receive any children that shall be itchy, scabby, lousy or that shall have any nasty infectious disease.
Private house. No access inside at any time.
|Season Dates||Opening Hours|
|Notes||No access inside the house.|
Rugby, Warwickshire, CV21 2RR
Close to Draycote water.
2 miles south of Rugby
1 mile from the M45.
There are many buses running from Rugby including the 64 (daily) and the 580 (Mon to sat).
Parking : free
Accessible by Public Transport : 3 miles (4.8 kms) from Rugby station