Refine your search

Type of Item

 

Location

 

Facilities

 

Or Item Name

 
 

Browsing places within 8 miles of Hillmorton Your location

loading...



Hillmorton

This used to be formed by two distinct settlements, Hull or Hulle (Hill) or that part of the settlement on the bank and Moor Town (or Moreton) on the marshy ground by the church. In the Domesday Book the population is shown as 170.

Rugby, Warwickshire, CV21 4EE (0 miles, 0 km)

 

Thurlaston - 18th century windmill. Thurlaston was referred to as 'Torlavestone' in the Domesday Book, probably after one of its Saxon possessors.

Rugby, Warwickshire, CV21 3BZ (0 miles, 0 km)

 

Binley Woods - Monks' Gallows Referred to as "Bilne" in early records, the village of Binley had, at the time of the Norman Conquest, woods that were 'half a mile long and a furlong broad'.

Rugby, Warwickshire, CV3 2BQ (7 miles, 11 km)

 

Burton Hastings - Perpendicular style This village is to the north of the Borough, close to Nuneaton and Hinckley. The name Hastings comes from the Hastings family, which held the Manor in the reign of Henry III.

Rugby, Warwickshire, CV11 6RJ (0 miles, 0 km)

 

Pailton - 'Modern' village. This village is more modern than some of its neighbours - no records exist of it before the reign of King Edward III.

Rugby, Warwickshire, CV21 3BZ (0 miles, 0 km)

 

Wibtoft - Roman town This parish has a tiny village whose name is thought to be Danish in origin. The church retains some medieval stonework. High Cross, site of the Roman 'Venonae' is nearby.

Rugby, Warwickshire, CV21 3BZ (0 miles, 0 km)

 
Brinklow

Brinklow is on the site of a large Norman motte-and-bailey castle (locally known as 'The Thump'). The Church of St John the Baptist dates to the 13th Century. Brinklow also lies on the Oxford Canal and so is popular with boaters.

Fosse way, Rugby, Warwickshire, CV23 0LS (0 miles, 0 km)

 
Bilton

The Church of St Mark's dates back to mid 14th century. It is Gothic style, but it was restored in 1873. Bilton was merged into the borough of Rugby in 1932.

Rugby, Warwickshire, CV227LX (1 miles, 2 km)

 

This lovely village is rich in history. A place of importance since Saxon times and one of the largest parishes in the Borough. The Guy Fawkes House is close to the church. On 5 November 1605, the conspirators of the Gunpowder Plot met here

Rugby, Warwickshire, CV21 2RR (0 miles, 0 km)

 

Marton - Ancient bridge. Marton derives its name from 'moortown', a reference to the marshy land south of the village

Rugby, Warwickshire, CV23 9RW (0 miles, 0 km)

 

Wolston is located halfway between Rugby and Coventry. The south part of the main street of Wolston is very pretty, with a stream flowing through it and the houses on either side approached by way of small bridges.

Rugby, Warwickshire, CV8 3HG (0 miles, 0 km)

 

Church Lawford is a small village that lies 2.5 miles west of Rugby, just off the A428.

Rugby, Warwickshire, CV23 9EE (3 miles, 5 km)