Refine your search

Type of Item

 

Location

 

Facilities

 

Or Item Name

 
 

Browsing places within 8 miles of Marton Your location

loading...



Thurlaston - 18th century windmill. Thurlaston was referred to as 'Torlavestone' in the Domesday Book, probably after one of its Saxon possessors.

Rugby, Warwickshire, CV21 3BZ (0 miles, 0 km)

 

Frankton - Held by monks Close to the River Leam, this village was known as "Francheton" at the time of the Domesday Survery.

Rugby, Warwickshire, CV23 9PH (0 miles, 0 km)

 
Hillmorton

This used to be formed by two distinct settlements, Hull or Hulle (Hill) or that part of the settlement on the bank and Moor Town (or Moreton) on the marshy ground by the church. In the Domesday Book the population is shown as 170.

Rugby, Warwickshire, CV21 4EE (0 miles, 0 km)

 

Monks Kirby - Home of Benedictine monks. The name comes from the Priory, founded here in 1077 by Geffrey de Wirce as a cell of the Benedictine Abbey at Angiers in France.

Rugby, Warwickshire, CV23 0QX (0 miles, 0 km)

 

The parish includes not only Harborough Magna village, but also the hamlets of Harborough Parva and, on the bank of the Oxford Canal, Cathiron. The present church is mostly 14th century with restorations made in 1869.

Rugby, Warwickshire, CV23 0HJ (0 miles, 0 km)

 

The name is derived from the fact that it stands on a hill, or cliff. It is thought that there was a church here before Norman times but the present building is 13th Century. Oliver Cromwell is said to have been a pupil at Clifton.

Rugby, Warwickshire, CV23 0BD (0 miles, 0 km)

 

Leamington Hastings - Birthplace of a philosopher. The name of this large parish is derived from the River Leam and from the Hastings family who owned the manor here in the 13th century.

Rugby, Warwickshire, CV23 8EB (0 miles, 0 km)

 

This lovely village is rich in history. A place of importance since Saxon times and one of the largest parishes in the Borough. The Guy Fawkes House is close to the church. On 5 November 1605, the conspirators of the Gunpowder Plot met here

Rugby, Warwickshire, CV21 2RR (0 miles, 0 km)

 

Wolston is located halfway between Rugby and Coventry. The south part of the main street of Wolston is very pretty, with a stream flowing through it and the houses on either side approached by way of small bridges.

Rugby, Warwickshire, CV8 3HG (0 miles, 0 km)

 
Brinklow

Brinklow is on the site of a large Norman motte-and-bailey castle (locally known as 'The Thump'). The Church of St John the Baptist dates to the 13th Century. Brinklow also lies on the Oxford Canal and so is popular with boaters.

Fosse way, Rugby, Warwickshire, CV23 0LS (0 miles, 0 km)

 

Bourton is a small village located to the south west of Rugby, along with the nearby hamlet of Draycote it forms the parish of Bourton and Draycote. Also in this parish is draycote water, which is a haven for wildlife.

Warwickshire, CV239QS (5 miles, 8 km)

 

This village, to the north of Rugby, is in the River Swift valley. The church and the village are on a hill, hence the name.

Swift Valley, Rugby, Warwickshire, CV23 0EG (0 miles, 0 km)