Refine your search

Type of Item

 

Location

 

Facilities

 

Or Item Name

 
 

Browsing places within 8 miles of Rugby Art Gallery and Museum Your location

loading...



Stretton-under-Fosse - Connection with Thomas Malory. The village consists of a short street of 15th, 16th, 18th and 19th century cottages, many of which are half timbered, and an 18th century Congregational Chapel.

Rugby, Warwickshire, CV21 3BZ (0 miles, 0 km)

 

Monks Kirby - Home of Benedictine monks. The name comes from the Priory, founded here in 1077 by Geffrey de Wirce as a cell of the Benedictine Abbey at Angiers in France.

Rugby, Warwickshire, CV23 0QX (0 miles, 0 km)

 

Long Lawford - Gothic-style church. Long Lawford is one of the most highly populated parishes in the Borough. In the Domesday Book it was described as 'Lellevort' or 'Lelleford'. The Gothic style church dates from 1839.

Rugby, Warwickshire, CV23 9BQ (0 miles, 0 km)

 

Frankton - Held by monks Close to the River Leam, this village was known as "Francheton" at the time of the Domesday Survery.

Rugby, Warwickshire, CV23 9PH (0 miles, 0 km)

 

This lovely village is rich in history. A place of importance since Saxon times and one of the largest parishes in the Borough. The Guy Fawkes House is close to the church. On 5 November 1605, the conspirators of the Gunpowder Plot met here

Rugby, Warwickshire, CV21 2RR (0 miles, 0 km)

 
Hillmorton

This used to be formed by two distinct settlements, Hull or Hulle (Hill) or that part of the settlement on the bank and Moor Town (or Moreton) on the marshy ground by the church. In the Domesday Book the population is shown as 170.

Rugby, Warwickshire, CV21 4EE (0 miles, 0 km)

 

Marton - Ancient bridge. Marton derives its name from 'moortown', a reference to the marshy land south of the village

Rugby, Warwickshire, CV23 9RW (0 miles, 0 km)

 

Bourton is a small village located to the south west of Rugby, along with the nearby hamlet of Draycote it forms the parish of Bourton and Draycote. Also in this parish is draycote water, which is a haven for wildlife.

Warwickshire, CV239QS (5 miles, 8 km)

 

Willoughby - Willow trees. The name of this village is said to be derived from the willow trees that once grew here by the brook.

Rugby, Warwickshire, CV21 3BZ (0 miles, 0 km)

 

Willey - Annual fair. This is another village with a small population. It became important when, with a charter granted by Henry III, it started having an annual fair and weekly market.

Rugby, Warwickshire, CV21 3BZ (0 miles, 0 km)

 

Grandborough - A gift from Leofric As well as the village of Grandborough, this parish also includes the hamlet of Woolscott. It was one of the 24 'towns' given by Leofric, Earl of Mercia, to the priory of Coventry, when it was founded.

Rugby, Warwickshire, CV23 8DH (0 miles, 0 km)

 

Wibtoft - Roman town This parish has a tiny village whose name is thought to be Danish in origin. The church retains some medieval stonework. High Cross, site of the Roman 'Venonae' is nearby.

Rugby, Warwickshire, CV21 3BZ (0 miles, 0 km)